Discover the delights of whale watching, kayaking, swimming, learning to surf or simply lazing on a beautiful beach, only 2.5 hours from Queanbeyan.
Take the Kings Highway through the historic towns of Bungendore and Braidwood on your way to Batemans Bay, the gateway to the South Coast.
- Murramarang National Park
- Mogo Zoo
- Montague Island Tours
- Foxglove Spire Gardens
- Tuross Beach Holiday Park
- Beaches near the Clyde River estuary
Why go there
A stunning coastline of beaches, river estuaries and craggy headlands makes this area an ideal holiday destination.
Cruise the pristine Clyde River, the cleanest of all the major rivers on Australia’s east coast, or explore the region’s historic villages: relax in cafés, wander through craft galleries and snap up local artwork.
Eleven kilometres off Narooma, Montague Island’s clear waters teem with fish that are hunted by the island’s colony of Australian fur seals.
Things to do
- Drive to Nelligen, a pretty village about 10 km upstream from Batemans Bay.
- Meet the grey kangaroos at Pebbly Beach.
- Treat yourself to fresh seafood, especially Clyde River oysters.
- Go reef fishing at Batemans Bay.
- Walk to the peak of Mount Dromedary (Gulaga), a sacred site for the local Yuin people.
- Foxglove Spires open garden, at Tilba Tilba, regarded as one of Australia’s best.
- A tour of Montague Island, with historic lighthouse and fur seals, Fairy penguins and seabirds.
- The historic cheese factory and craft shops at Central Tilba, built in the 1890s.
- A cruise along the Clyde River, winding through thickly forested valleys, national parks and state forests.
- Old Mogo Town, an 1850’s gold rush theme park near Batemans Bay.
Visit the Nature Coast website