Take the time to do the Queanbeyan City Heritage Walk. You will find historic buildings and memorials dating back to the early 1800's.
Pick up a Heritage Walk map, (two options available) and start your journey from the Visitor Information Centre or download the Heritage Walk here.
1. Visitor information Centre
Built in 1925 for the Oueanbeyan Municipal Council and it remained operational until 1975 when the present Crawford Street site was opened. The gardens contain significant memorials recognising the involvement of local residents in various war efforts. The scientifically correct Sundial in the Garden at the Tourist Information Centre was donated as a gift in 1860 by Moses Nathan Lazerus and was originally installed opposite the Kent Hotel, which was the temporary courthouse. In 1861 the sundial was moved to the new courthouse on Lowe and Monaro Streets and stayed there for over 100years.The sundial has been in its current location since 1976.
2. Walsh’s Hotel
Walsh’s Hotel was established in 1875 as a millinery and drapery store known as Edinburgh House. lt became the Globe Hotel in 1885 and was the first telephone subscriber when the exchange opened in 1906.
3. Royal Hotel
Opened in 1850 as Byrnes Hotel. lt was opened by the local businessman Martin Byrne and acquired the name Royal Hotel in 1870. The present building dates from 1926. Over the course of 2012 the Royal underwent a significant award winning renovation.
4. Council Chambers
Council Chambers was constructed in 1927 at a cost of 3500 pounds as the permanent home for the Oueanbeyan School of Arts. The building is listed by the NSW Heritage Commission because of its unusual Romanesque-style of architecture.
5. Fire Station
The former Fire Station was built in 1925 in Federation-style brickwork. lt is now used for Council offices.
6. Duttons Cottage
This building, with its unusual chimneys at each side, dates back to the mid-1880s.
7. Uniting Church
The Uniting Church was originally Oueanbeyan’s Methodist Church. its earliest portion was constructed in 1859.
8. St Benedict’s Convent
St Benedict’s Convent was built in the 1880s for the Sisters of the Good Samaritan. Now known as Benedict House, it is home to an art gallery, furniture, bead exhibition, classes and a Cafe.
9. Suspension Bridge
The Suspension Bridge was originally built in 1901. The superstructure was washed away in the floods of 1925 and was replaced in 1938.
10. Anglican Church
Corner of Collett and Rutledge Streets.
11. Masonic Temple
This two-storey building with Federation detailing was builtin 1925.
12. Old School of Arts 110 Monaro Street.
The Old School of Arts was constructed in 1867 by Edwin Oswald Evans. The building was known as the Evans Building until the School of Arts took the occupation in 1894. The adjacent building at 108 Monaro Street next to Westpac Bank was constructed by John Jordan and Harry Lazarus in 1909 as the School of Arts Billiard Room.
13. Byrne’s Steam Flour
Byrne’s Steam Flour Mill was built in and ceased to operate soon after the turn of the century. lt is the only one of nine remaining mills, which operated in this district from the 1840s.
14. The Mill House
The Mill House was built in 1883 as an adjunct to Byrnes Flour Mill as the mill manager’s residence.
15. Queen Elizabeth Park
Originally the town‘s market reserve when the town was gazetted in 1888, it was here that Oueanbeyans first police magistrate, Captain Alured Tasker Faunce, collapsed and died while playing cricket in 1856.
16. Boer War Memorial
Located in the centre median strip of Lowe Street, the Boer War Memorial was erected in 1903. lt is one of the earliest Boer War Memorials in NSW.
17. John Gale Statue
Gale was an early pioneer who established the first newspaper in 1860 and played a pivotal role in having the area chosen for the National Capital.
18. Queanbeyan Museum
Oueanbeyan Museum was built in 1876 as the Police Sergeant’s residence and became a museum in 1981.
19. Oueanbeyan Printing Museum
Oueanbeyan Printing Museum opened on October 23, 2004 and features memorabilia from the first newspaper in Oueanbeyan. View the working presses and learn about this prolific industry.
20. Farrer Memorial
Farrer Memorial was erected in 1938 to commemorate William James Farrer, the famous local wheat experimentalist.